Dogs can get into poisonous plants, chemicals, or food if these items are not properly secured. If you suspect your dog has ingested something that may be poisonous, it's important to know what steps to take to keep your pet safe. Here are some steps you should take in the event that your dog eats or drinks something that may be dangerous.

Contact The Animal Hospital

Contact your local animal hospital, someplace like Phoenixville Animal Hospital - R B Wolstenholme DVM, right away and let them know you are bringing your pet in. If you know what your dog has ingested, let the staff know when you call. This can help them to prepare the proper treatment so it is ready when you arrive. The staff may also be able to give you information on first aid you can perform before you get to the animal hospital.

Remove The Dog From The Poison

If your dog has gotten into a poisonous substance in the home, remove the animal from the source of the poison. Take your dog into a bathroom or laundry room where you can clean off any powders or liquids immediately. You may need to give your dog a shower or bath to remove chemicals that your pet may continue to ingest while attempting to groom his or her fur. Be sure to take proper precautions to protect yourself from hazardous chemicals as well, such as wearing rubber gloves and goggles. If your dog has eaten foods that may be poisonous, simply remove the pet from the room and close the door so no more food can be ingested.

Save A Sample

In the event that your dog has vomited and you are not sure what was ingested, collect a sample of the vomit. The animal hospital may be able to analyze it to help determine the best course of treatment. Keep the dog away from the area if he or she has vomited, as you don't want your pet to come into contact with the poison again. You can collect the sample using a plastic food storage container packed in a zippered sandwich bag. Do not induce vomiting unless the animal hospital instructs you to before you bring your dog in for treatment.

Keeping potentially hazardous chemicals and foods away from your dog is the best way to prevent accidents of this nature. Take some time to pet-proof your home by storing cleaning solutions, laundry soap, and other chemicals out of reach, and avoid keeping potentially poisonous foods where your dog might sneak a nibble when you aren't looking.